Images of scenic landscapes and nature are commonly brought into Topaz Simplify to render beautiful, painterly results. The technology behind the plug-in uses scale space algorithms that close off holes to help eliminate details. As a result, artifacts such as webbing might be created; this is most often seen in the branches of trees. To remove the webbing is quite simple. To start, you will need a program such as Photoshop Elements or Photoshop that supports layers and a few other necessary functions.
1. Open your image in PS or PSE.
2. Duplicate the layer three times so that you have four layers total (ctrl/cmd + J). Title the top layer “Simplify webbing”. Name the layer underneath it, “Simplify non-webbing”.
4. Apply an effect that produces webbing such as BuzSim. Another way to create webbing is to go to the Simplify panel (right hand side of the interface) and increase the Simplify Size until you see the stained-glass effect form. You may also choose to increase the Feature Boost and Saturation slider for additional color and detail enhancement.
For this particular image I applied the BuzSim preset and then applied Oil Painting Toned I. The transparency was then reduced to 0.70.
6. Select the layer “Simplify non-webbing” and bring it into Simplify.
7. For this image make sure there is no webbing. To achieve this, move the Simplify size slider up a minimal amount, no more than 0.10 (you may need to reduce the slider if your settings from the previous session have been applied to your image).
8. Press Ok.
13. Press ctrl/cmd + L to open the levels panel. Move the white slider to the left to increase the white, making the webbing problem as white as possible. Move the black slider a tad bit to the right to darken the non-white areas.
18. Press Q again to remove the red screen…marching ants will appear around the webbing problem. Note: if the marching ants do not cover up the entire webbing problem, go back to the original mask and re-boost the whites using levels.
20. Press ctrl/cmd + D to make the marching ants disappear. You will now notice that the webbing problem has been eliminated!